Friday 21 September 2018

Is university for me?

Hey beautifuls!

So, majority of those from my year group are moving out for university soon and I thought it would be a perfect time for me to share with you the reasons why and how I decided that university is not for me right now.

It's a pretty strange feeling to be around everybody who is getting ready for their first year at uni whilst I'm going on to do something completely different - I'll be honest, it's taking some time to get used to the fact that I have finished with education and I don't really need to study anymore. However, I will say that it is one of the most exciting and happy choices that I have made for myself!

It has become a norm for everybody to go to university after college/sixth form, without even looking into other opportunities. These decisions are sometimes based on the fact that everybody else is going so one feels like they must too - but no, that's shouldn't be the case which is why I wanted to cover this topic so I can ensure that you all make the decisions that are best for you. This could be going to university or doing apprenticeships or even going straight into work.

This post isn't me telling you not to go to university at all, but rather making sure that you go for the right reasons - because YOU want to. Not because others have told you to, not because you think it's the only option, not because you don't know what else to do.

As many of you may know, about a year ago whilst I was finishing my first year of sixth form, I decided that I didn't want to go to university as I had other plans for myself. I didn't really enjoy my A Levels which led me to realise that I wasn't interested in studying further, and that was okay. So I applied to college to do a Foundation Art Diploma for a year and was going to work, blog and create YouTube content on the side. However, these decisions soon changed because I did the Lubna Rafiq Academy hair and makeup course over the summer this year - so I am now a qualified professional makeup artist. I now work pretty much full time alongside building up my own brand and doing work on mental health. All of these decisions were made myself and for myself because it's what I wanted to do and what made me happy - I encourage all of you to make the right decisions for you in order to make yourselves happy.

Although I am doing something that I am so passionate about and am working hard for - it didn't come easy. University is something that was still expected of me and I almost felt looked down upon by some people because of my decision which is something that I shouldn't have felt. Even now when I tell people that I am not studying anymore, it's almost as if it's not allowed and it baffles me. However, I am blessed that my parents were supportive of my decision and are there through what I would like to do with my future.

This is for those of you who may not be interested in going to university - you will have people trying to convince you thinking that they know what's best for you, but only you know what's best for you. Stay strong and have faith in yourself with whatever you want to go ahead and do.

There are so many opportunities out there now that people aren't aware of because majority of schools are so focused on getting their students to university and concerned with those applications that other options such as apprenticeships, vocational courses and work are dismissed.

If you're 16-18 years old, start thinking about the options you have available to you and my advice would be to research. What do you enjoy doing? What is your dream career path? Research, make a plan and go for it! Don't be afraid of following your dreams.

Remember to always have faith beautifuls.

Love you lots,
Sanz xoxo

No comments:

Post a Comment